Monday, September 13, 2010

quick trip to the store...

I'm no Julia Childs....and this post will certainly prove it.
Yes, this is a common chicken. Only one problem I have with it....it is raw. I have never cooked a whole chicken before and I hadn't really planned on cooking one any time soon. I cannot explain my fear of whole raw animals but just believe me when I tell you I am afraid of them. Just so you don't think I'm singling out chickens, I'll admit that I am not fond of raw turkey, duck or guinea hen either. As a matter of fact I received a free turkey last year from our local Giant grocery store (for all of my Floridian readers, that's the name of the store....Giant....I'm not saying it's a huge grocery store - though it's not small - but I digress). Where was I? Oh yes, the free turkey. We didn't have space for it in our freezer so we left it in the care of some dear friends of ours who, one day, cooked the thing and had us over for dinner. Bottom line, I have owned a raw bird but I have never had to actually cook one. Now, I own another one (thanks to a frugal man who wouldn't let me buy an already seasoned and cooked rotisserie chicken for only 1 Euro more). We do not have a freezer here or any friends with a freezer so I am going to have to cook it this week.......in a toaster oven. I'm sure I'll let you know how it goes. I would appreciate your prayers.
Pictured above is wonderful jar of strawberry jam that I bought at the store today. This reward comes only after accidentally buying "Bio" jam on our first day here. I initially thought that "Bio" was a brand name but I have since learned that it's their (and you know you they are) way of saying organic. Again, I am not knocking organic food. I'm sure it's good for you. Tiny little problem is that this Bio jam, when consumed, makes you want to rip your tongue out. The point is (and yes, I do have a point) that this new jam is wonderful! Frugal man insists on finishing the Bio jam and I will gladly cheer him on - right after I finish my toast with my new and improved jam.

Okay. This is ham. Only reason I can figure that Kevin wanted it is because it's shaped like a bullet. That's all I have to say about the .45 caliber ham.

Now we move on to chips. This can looks a lot like Pringles, doesn't it? Don't fall for it! Look closely at the brand name...."Pirato"....yes, they sure got that right. Pirated chips. They should be just as illegal as pirated DVD's.

All I can say about this one is that I sure hope it's sauerkraut. The picture of the random meat on the front of the can looks like it is resting on sauerkraut. Not sure if said random meat is included in this can or if it's simply a suggestion of what to do with the (hopefully) sauerkraut. I have no idea what Le Choucroute Garnie is (though choucroute seems like the word sauerkraut, doesn't it?) but we'll find out soon. I'm not worried though. We can always eat cereal for dinner.


I like dill pickles. I saw a bunch of pickles at the grocery store today. I randomly chose one that looked promising called 'Cornichons fins'. I brought my pickles home. I put one in my mouth. It sent a shiver up and down my spine. I may never eat a pickle again.


Well, grocery shopping is done and dinner is served. Scrambled eggs, toast and milk. Note to self......take French-English dictionary to the store next time.

1 comment:

~Babychaser~ said...

I'm laughing out loud! Still. The kids are wanting to know what's so funny! I don't have time or energy to read with them today... so I don't really want to explain it to them.

I'll say a prayer for the chicken... maybe you can pick up a crock pot... that's often how I do whole chickens. Do you have foil? You could cover the bird in the pan and then put it in the toaster oven (on oven setting of course). I'd rinse and dry it first... then season it a bunch for best flavor! I'm looking forward to lots of pictures and a play by play of the whole thing. On days like this (toddler potty in my carpet, baby screaming through nap time and a napless preschooler) I need your stories! :) Oh, and of course God's grace... but I figure He's giving me your stories... so that is included!

(We'll try to make sure nothing happens to us for a few more years.)