Tuesday, March 25, 2008

termites and bugs

Have you ever seen a termite mound? I had never seen one until I came to Togo. They are actually pretty amazing! We have one behind the guest house that stands over 20 feet tall! Those termites sure know how to build! I haven't gotten close enough to the mound to actually see a termite building it but I hope they are wearing little hard hats in case they fall from the top! Come to think of it, termites can fly so maybe little hard hats would just get in their way.

There are definitely some strange bugs here. My husband had to go down into a valve pit yesterday to shut off the water and while he was down there he noticed he wasn't alone! There was a spider-like creature in there with him! He came and got me and told me to bring the camera, which I did. I don't know how to describe this thing but it had legs on it that looked like crab legs and it also had 6 spider legs and whiskers on each side that were at least 6 inches long. Its' body was flat and wide and it had pincher's on it too! I couldn't believe he got back down in that hole again knowing that there was a spider-crab-cat-bug in there!

There are also little bugs in the pool that look like watermelon seeds and they swim very well. They come right at you and bite you! We always use the little net scooper thing to clean the bugs out of the pool before we get in!

Well, I guess this is all just part of living here in Togo. One thing's for sure, we're never bored. If, by chance, we do get bored all we would have to do is go and stand outside for about 30-45 seconds and without fail, a bug of some sort will show up and give you something to talk about or run from.

No comments: