Well, we are back home in the guest house apartment! We are not quite settled in yet but it is nice to be back in "our place" knowing that we can stay put for the next 8 months, Lord willing! I was in the capitol city of Lome all day today and am busy at the clinic tomorrow morning and then at the CRC (Christian Resource Center) tomorrow afternoon so it looks like I won't have time to unpack our belongings until Saturday!
The CRC is a neat ministry and I get to help out there on Friday afternoons by entering Bible lessons into the computer. The Bible lessons were originally all typed (on a typewriter) in the local tribal language of Ewe (pronounced ev-ay). One of the ladies here taught me how to type in Ewe so I sit there and type away having no clue whatsoever what I am typing! They say what I am doing is helping them so I just take their word for it and keep typing! Some of the Ewe characters require 3 or 4 keystrokes each! Most of their letters are the same as ours but they have thrown in a few unrecognizable ones just to keep us on our toes I think. Anyway, all of that to say I don't have time to unpack tomorrow.
We had a good day in Lome and actually made it back to the compound before dark which is a major accomplishment! Now that we are back in the guest house I don't need to buy groceries but we did figure out that even though cereal from the US is terribly expensive, it is still cheaper to buy cereal and milk in Lome than it is to eat breakfast in the guest house every morning.
Just to give you an idea, a small box of Raisin Bran is about $8 or $9. You can imagine my excitement when I found a clearance table at Citimart today that had a big box Kellogg's Corn Flakes for $1.50! I think it was on sale because it expires on 3/28 but we'll eat it before then anyway! Then I looked on the other side of the table and nearly wet my pants (skirt in this case) when I saw a box of "Smacks" for $1! Not only was the price exciting but the front of the box says that there is a Shrek Frisbee inside! I sure hope I get to the bottom of the box first. Or maybe I'll just do what I did when I was a kid and dump the whole box out in a big bowl, get the prize and then cram all of the cereal back into the box. Either way, the frisbee is mine.
No comments:
Post a Comment