Happy Easter Monday from Togo! I'm not exactly sure why, but the Monday after Easter is a holiday in Togo (and some other West African countries). I am told that folks do not work on Easter Monday - instead they have a picnic. I always find it funny when people celebrate a holiday but they have no idea why! It's kinda like me and Labor Day! Sure, I'll enjoy the day off work but I have no clue why we celebrate Labor Day! Perhaps I should google Labor Day when I finish writing this.
Yesterday we went to church in a village about an hour north of the hospital compound. This village actually doesn't have a church building so we met outside under an open bamboo structure with a grass roof. The total service (including a lunch of rice and fish or chicken sauce) lasted about 7 hours! Needless to say we were "well done" after baking in the sun all day! I guess I should know by now to wear plenty of sunscreen when going to church!
On our way back to the main road from the village something came loose underneath the van and of course we had no tools with us! My husband got down in the dirt, crawled underneath the van and used a very long blade of grass to tie up the plastic cover that had fallen. He must have done a great job because that grass held that piece in place all the way back to the compound!
The greatest part about yesterday's service is that about 65 men and women gave their lives to Christ! What a wonderful way to celebrate Easter!
Yesterday we went to church in a village about an hour north of the hospital compound. This village actually doesn't have a church building so we met outside under an open bamboo structure with a grass roof. The total service (including a lunch of rice and fish or chicken sauce) lasted about 7 hours! Needless to say we were "well done" after baking in the sun all day! I guess I should know by now to wear plenty of sunscreen when going to church!
On our way back to the main road from the village something came loose underneath the van and of course we had no tools with us! My husband got down in the dirt, crawled underneath the van and used a very long blade of grass to tie up the plastic cover that had fallen. He must have done a great job because that grass held that piece in place all the way back to the compound!
The greatest part about yesterday's service is that about 65 men and women gave their lives to Christ! What a wonderful way to celebrate Easter!
No comments:
Post a Comment