Thursday, October 9, 2008

goats on the driving range



Like I said in my previous post, we stayed at the Sarakawa hotel in Lome this past weekend. I was glad to learn that they had a driving range there at the hotel. We walked around the grounds of the hotel about 3 times in search of the driving range but just could not find it. Finally we decided to ask someone who worked there and after asking only about 7 people we finally managed to find an employee who knew what golf was and could tell us where to locate the driving range.
.
I should have known that this was no ordinary driving range when we were told that we needed to walk out and around the "Ranch Sarakawa." Anyway, we set off in search of this place and after walking and walking we found the Ranch. We kept on going, as instructed, and in the distance finally saw a little slab of concrete with a tin roof and two squares of astro turf on the ground.
.
There was a man sitting in a plastic lawn chair sound asleep and I hated to wake him up but did it anyway. He looked a little surprised to see 2 white women in skirts asking for 2 buckets of balls. He got us set up and we began to hit. The astro turf wasn't attached to anything so every time we hit a ball we had to readjust the fake grass.
.
All of the sudden a herd of goats (I'm still not sure if herd is the correct word) and a random horse wondered onto the driving range. That, of course, made me laugh but the little man in the plastic lawn chair didn't even seem to notice them. We kept on hitting until we were finished, paid the man and left so that he could get back to his nap.

No comments: