Okay, so I've gotta give another point to the women of West Africa. I don't know how they do the stuff they do. I do know that I wouldn't dare pick a fight with any of them. They are strongest women I have ever seen. I have seen them carrying heavy loads on their heads with children on their backs walking up the mountain behind the hospital compound. I don't like to stare but it's difficult not to. I guess I could refrain from standing there with my mouth hanging wide open in sheer amazement while videoing them but I can't promise that I'll stop staring.
.
One of my Togolese friends wanted me to put a big bucket of stuff on my head just to see if I could carry it and aside from the fact that it would mess up my hair - it would most likely snap my neck so we decided not to do it. Actually, I couldn't even pick it up so getting it on top of my head was a moot point. Pitiful. In an attempt to do something impressive I told her I could walk and chew gum at the same time but she didn't seem to care.
.
I wish I would have had my camera with me two days ago as we were heading down to Kpalime. We drove through a village and I saw a child who could not have been more than 15 months old wobbling around with a little bowl of water on her head. Amazing. What's really funny is when we see someone walking around with a machete or a small bottle of drinking water on their head. At that point I think they are just showing off.
No comments:
Post a Comment